Thursday, July 22, 2010

Syohei Harada

I have been a little quiet on the blogging front of late. I am in the process of developing a new website and there is only so much time this duck can spend on the computer before going completely balmy. Think I may have passed the threshold.

But I would like to show a video I stumbled across as my  mind obviously wandered from the task at hand.

I have no translation but it's really not needed. This is a beautiful clip showcasing Syohei Harada, a ceramic artist of the Clover Studio in Aichi, Japan. First I was impressed by his neat, organised studio, then wow-ed by the state of his kiln (surely this is the first time it has been used!) and finally gobsmacked by his work.

He embraces traditions of  mashiko ware but I also see similarites with  Lucie Rie pottery and so much more. And as for the precision, detail and character in those robots... ... it's just ace, you have to see it for yourself.


Makers: Ceramic artist Syohei Harada - JAPAN | CLOVERSTUDIO from YoshNagata on Vimeo.

No comments: