Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Looking way back

Four years ago! I can't believe it was four years ago that I did my residency at The Clay Studio in Philadelphia. It was such a short stay - just a month. (Long enough time to be away from small child really!) But it was fantastic. Great people, amazing studios, so much to see and do and it was hot. Really, really hot. Loved it.

My application proposed that I would explore the effect of new and unfamiliar surroundings on my work which, until that time, had mostly been inspired by rural Australia. One month is not very long in ceramic realms and I must admit the work I created whilst there dealt more with new and mind-boggling materials (and remembering to convert to Fahrenheit!) But I can certainly say, with hindsight, the effect on work made since my return has been immense. 

So good to play outside your comfort zone. And so lovely to be remembered with Irianna and David as well... 

Looking Back: Work from Past Guest Artist Residencies, 1994-2009
February 4 - February 27, 2011Reed Smith and Harrison Galleries

Looking Back
Looking Back: Work from Past Guest Artist Residencies features works by artists who participated in The Clay Studio's Guest Artist in Residence program between 1994 and 2009.  Their works serve as a marker in the evolution of clay as a material used for creative expression. Each reinforces the inherent commonalities of varied cultures, yet highlights the inherent differences.

On view are works by 13 artists from 10 countries: Czeslaw Podlesny (Poland 1994), Takumi Sato (Japan 1996), Carlomagno Martinez (Mexico 1999), Bai Ming (China 2001), David Ray (Australia 2004), Takeshi Yasuda (United Kingdom 2003), Irianna Kanellopoulou (Australia 2005), Mia Fernandes (England 2005), Eva Avidar (Israel 2006), Catrin Howell (Wales 2007), Sophie Milne (Australia 2007), Fiona Thompson (Scotland 2007), and Malene Pedersen (Denmark 2009).

image credit: David Ray

No comments: